Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Lord and His Laughter

I believe the Lord works in funny ways. Time and time again, He humorously reminds me of His goodness and His unwavering love for me. A girl like me needs that now and then. I've been more blessed than I could have ever hoped for, and I recognize I don't have much to complain about. So when things seem to hit the fan, when I feel lost in my own head, when I've failed and disappointed myself, it's easy to take it hard. Lucky for me the Author of Life actually knew what He was doing when He designed me this way, and He has lavished me with blessed assurance and a peace surpassing all understanding.

Sunday morning, my sister and I were teaching the fifth and sixth grade girls Sunday school class. Kortney thought to hand a paper to each of them with Get to Know Ya questions. These always crack me up, because I tend to change my mind a lot. If you looked at the papers like these from the past, you would think you were looking at a completely different person. Some weeks I like green. Other times Chocolate is my favorite ice cream flavor, not vanilla. My dream job changes all the time, with varieties like a stay at home mom, a news anchor, a star's personal rep, etc. So this Sunday was no different than any other. I started writing down bogus answers, like how my earliest memory was sleeping in a camper in my driveway, or that my ideal vacation included a trip to Paris, and my favorite left over food really was pizza. TomAto, TomOto.

Second service was awesome. Our pastor talked about how the Lord is always at work around us and through us, but that more often than not we miss out on these miracles because we write it off as luck or coinsidence. He reminded us of our God's great love for us...that He really does hear our prayers and takes them to heart. This was comforting to me because I've been praying for some big things lately. This stage in my life has been a refining stage. Which is great, because I've really grown so much. It's also been so tough because it hurts when the Lord and I take a good look at the garbage in my life. I've been praying for a break, for a chance to be enlightened, for a new chapter.

About 26 hours later, I get a text message asking if I wanted to go to Paris. I laughed and cried, because I knew that the Lord of the Universe was sitting on His throne, laughing and saying "See Kayla, my Love is alive and at work..." Which was all I needed to hear before accepting this extraordinary offer.

My God is Good.

No comments: